History

The area west of the Ashley River used to be known as St. Andrew’s Parish. In 1926, the city built a bridge from downtown Charleston to West Ashley allowing expansion. However, people did not start building homes until 1943 when the water line was extended to West Ashley. Developers created several neighborhoods, dividing St. Andrew’s Parish into Byrnes Downs, Avondale, Albemarle Point, the Crescent, Moreland, Old Windermere, South Windermere, Wappoo Heights, and Westwood.