When buying a home, it is important to know if you will be living in a flood plain. In the Lowcountry, it may be beneficial to obtain flood insurance even if your location does not require it. There are few ways you can prepare before floods hit.
- When you purchase your home, determine if it is located in flood area. Check your address on the FEMA maps.
- Purchase flood insurance (this can take 30 days to go into effect)
- Be sure drains, drainage pipes, drainage ditches, etc are free from debris
- Elevate your washer, dryer, furnace, water heater, etc with concrete blocks, or protect them with a barrier
- Landscape with plants that resist soil erosion
- Store invaluable family items as high as possible in your home
- Keep sandbags on hand or know where to get them in your community
- Have important documents, medications, etc in one area to grab if evacuation is necessary